| Guide to:|
|Hail to the Chief?|
|Persons of interest|
Broun previously got on the wingnut bandwagon in a big way in 2008 when he compared Presidential candidate Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler; as usual with politicians like this, he issued an "apology" - but not before stating that he still believed that Obama espoused what he termed "that type of philosophy of radical socialism or Marxism." In 2009, he stated that a "socialistic elite" comprising Democrats like Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid might use a pandemic disease in order to declare martial law. Eventually, he decided that making specific claims on the subject was no longer such a good idea and started resorting to the usual vague hand-waving about how Progressives are out to contaminate our youth's precious bodily fluids in order to destroy America.
He is a Young Earth creationist who believes that the theory of evolution, embryology, and the big bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of Hell." Despite these views, Broun sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.
Unsurprisingly, he is also a global warming denialist. He's also opined that actually lowering the national debt ceiling (a position even more extreme than Tea Party advocates of never raising it) is a simply peachy-keen idea in his book.
In May 2009, Broun unsuccessfully proposed a bill that that would have proclaimed 2010 "The Year Of The Bible." He also introduced a bill that would have banned selling or renting porn on US military bases.
He also shows love for fellow Congressional wingnuts in singularly odd ways, such as endorsing Allen West for Speaker of the House of Representatives. This was somewhat unusual - bordering on silly - as West had just lost his seat in the general election.
Maybe it's the water?
Broun left the House of Representatives in January 2015 and was replaced by Jody Hice. Hice may actually end up being worse at his job that Broun was, which is a truly astounding accomplishment in itself.
- Rep. Paul Broun is sorry for seemingly comparing Obama to Adolf Hitler, CNN.com
- GOP Congressman: Democrats Might Declare Martial Law, Washington Independent
- Broun: Progressives Out to Destroy America, Dispatches from the Culture Wars
- Wherein he makes the above claims
- ajc:Paul Broun: Evolution, Big Bang theory ‘lies straight from pit of hell’ 6 October 2012
- Paul Krugman, "Betraying the Planet," New York Times, June 29, 2009
- Rep. Paul Broun: Let’s LOWER The Debt Ceiling! Talking Points Memo
- Politico.com "Lawmaker wants to make 2010 'Year of the Bible'
- "H.R. 5821, Military Honor and Decency Bill".
- Rep. Paul Broun, MD speaks to Doctors about Healthcare Reform (AAPS YouTube)
- Wingnuts Vote for Allen West as Speaker, Dispatches from the Culture Wars
- 7 Outrageous Rants From GOP House Candidate Jody Hice On Blood Moons, Sandy Hook, Women And 'Judicial Terrorists', Right Wing Watch